.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

light or dark

I went to the Bellagio with my MIL yesterday and I showed her the chocolate fountain. I love watching the chocolate fountain and although my husband didn't understand the fascination my MIL loved it. But it got me to thinking, this chocolate fountain has white chocolate which is pure white and beautiful. It has dark chocolate which is...you guessed it, very dark and then they have medium chocolate which is right in the middle. It's not milk chocolate it's actually pretty light in color. That started me thinking me thinking even more.

When we first turn out the lights at night everything is pitch black and I can't see a thing (like the dark chocolate)! However once my eyes get used to the darkness I find that it isn't quite as dark as I thought. I find that I can see quite well in the darkness (like the medium chocolate). But turn on the light and OMG, you realize you couldn't see much at all! (the white chocolate) Going even a little bit further here, if you stay too long in the dark and then turn on the light, the light actually hurts. And did you ever realize it takes only a few seconds to get used to the dark but it takes much longer to get used to the light.

I know, it's quite a long analogy but did you follow where I was going. Life and religion is like that. We spend so much time in the darkness that when we finally come into the light (Jesus) it takes a long time to get used to the light, it can even appear to "hurt" as we get used to the light. Far too often people give up before getting used to the light and they yell "turn it off!" before they have a chance to realize, the light is amazing and will take you so much farther!

I picked up the phone to call my mom again. I wanted to call her and tell her to come and join us on our sight seeing. Oh how she would have loved it. If we aren't careful missing loved ones that have gone on before us can put us into that darkness. Remember it only takes a short time to get used to the darkness. Turn on that light and turn to the Light. Run to your prayer closet and pray that He will take away that darkness. And then instead of thinking about what you don't have, focus on what you do have. It may hurt your eyes for a few minutes as you adjust, but it will get there. Think about your children, your spouse, your God. Try and find something special God has done in your life today. You know he's done something, He always does, we just don't always look for it, still too used to the fuzziness of the darkness.

No comments: