.

Monday, February 9, 2009

Socialization?

One of my homeschooling friends just emailed me and told me a funny story which I just had to share. She was at the hair dresser who was grilling her about homeschooling and asking her if she thought her kids missed out on socialization. Now, first of all, anyone who worries about homeschool kids not being socialized has never met a homeschooling mom. But what makes this such a funny story is that the person who was asking this has a 16 year old daughter who just had a baby. She was into drugs and caved to peer pressure and now this woman is a grandmother. Yep, my kids sure miss out.

Now, I'm not saying that all public school kids are into drugs or sex so please don't misunderstand me. But I think it's funny that the question is coming from a woman who has had these problems. Let's not throw stones and judge to hastily.

So if any of you are worried about my kids being socialized let me tell you a little bit about their schedule. They have PE every week where they play with about 50 kids. They are at church about 3 times a week, and we have a very active homeschool group that keeps them pretty busy. Sports each spring and fall and who knows when else.

I love homeschooling. Yes, public school has it's benefits. The public school system has dedicated teachers who really do try their best to give the kids a good education. Not everyone can or would want to homeschool. But for me, I wouldn't trade homeschooling for anything.

No comments: