.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Are you sharp?

I read Proverbs 27:17 today. "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another".
Wow! I love this verse. This verse changed my life. Or rather, I should say, some very important women living this verse out with the love of Jesus, changed my life. I came to a point in my life, where I just wasn't dealing with life well. I had taken so many hits over the course of my life and suddenly I found myself floundering. That's when I started a small group at church and met a few women who were committed to sharpening other women. They came along side of me, spoke the truth in love to me when I needed it, and showed me the truth in God's Word and how I could apply it to my life. I grew so much during that season. I learned how to deal with some of the wounds from my past and how to truly give things up and lay my burdens at the feet of the One who can handle them.

I have several people in my life who are committed to helping me be the best person I can be and helping me reflect Jesus in ever increasing glory. I am so thankful for those women both past and present who have come along side me in that way. I, in turn, am committed to doing the same for others. Why? Because the Lord commands it. That verse in proverbs isn't just something nice to say, it's a directive. The Bible also says to go out and make disciples. How do we do that? By sharing the gospel with others but also by coming along side of them and sharpening them.

I think one great way to do this, is a small group. You will get to know some new people that are focused on a common goal of growth. If you aren't in a small group or have people in your life that are actively sharpening you and you them, let me encourage you to join one. Be an influence in someone's life and allow them to influence your growth as well.

No comments: