.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Diligent?

I was reading this morning and I came to a verse in Proverbs that caused me to stop. Proverbs 27:23 "Be diligent to know the state of your flocks, and attend to your herds"

Now I know what you are thinking...why in the world would that verse cause me to stop? Right? Well, I'm glad you asked. I stopped to think about this verse. First, I thought of my flocks and herds. Since, I work at a church I tend to automatically think of flock as those that are in my church, but I stopped this morning to think of the other flocks and herd that He has put in my life to tend. I thought of my kids. My son Ken may be old and nearly 21 now but I still consider him mine to tend. I want to be involved in his life and I want him to (even though he's 21) still know my voice as a voice of wisdom or guidance, because even though he's nearly 21, I have just a bit more years and experience for him to glean from and I want him to make wise choices. I thought of my youngest Christopher who definitely still needs guidance. I love we know each other so well. I know each look, each cry (yes there are different cries). I know him so well, that recently when he broke his jaw, he came up to me and wasn't crying or anything but simply said, I fell. And something inside me knew it was more than that. I think of the dog. Yes, the dog. The crazy and excitable Toby who when I come home runs to the door at top speed, jumps at and does somersaults because his "shepherd" is home. I could go on and on but I don't want to bore you so I'll move on.

The other thing I thought about was work. Yes, your job is part of the "flock" the Lord has given you to tend. Now, I love my job, but I've heard people talk about how they hate their job and they are just doing enough to get by, or their heart isn't really in it. Are you being diligent tending your "flocks and herds"? The word diligent comes from a latin word meaning to esteem, to love. Dictionary.com defines diligent as being constantly in effort, attendtive and persistent. So I'll ask the question again, are you being diligent? Whether we're talking about your kids, or your friends, or your job, or your home, your spouse - whatever your flock, are you being diligent? Do you love your "flock" simply because the Lord has given it to you tend if for no other reason? If you are one of those who hate your job or just dream of a different job or think the grass is greener somewhere else (again whether it's your job or something else), let me encourage you to be diligent. The Lord has given you this flock to tend. Tend to it well. Take painstaking efforts to ensure a job well done. Clossians tells us "whatever you do or say do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus".

You may remember a passage in Matthew 25 when Jesus told a parable and verse 23 says "Well done, my good and faithful servant. you have been faithful with little and I will put in charge of many things. Come and share in your masters happiness". Be sure to have integrity and be diligent so that the Lord will be able to reward you with something more. Want a new job? Be diligent with the one you have.

Now can you see why this verse would cause me to pause today? I think we all have something in our lives where we aren't as diligent as we should be. Today is the day to thank God for the flocks He has given you and commit to diligence.

No comments: