.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Habakkuk

As I was reading Habakkuk chapter 3 today I read something so amazing. Habakkuk has just been given the news that his entire people are going to be brutally conquered by the most savage people called the Babylonians. This would make even strong men cry. But what does he do? Did he cry or beg or bargain? no. He simply thanked God for the day that He will bring disaster on those who will be conquering them. It's like, ok God I know you're mad and you're gonna do this but i'm going to focus instead on the day that you will turn the tables back around. Habakkuk says, I will wait patiently for the day... patiently. God just told him that their entire civilization was going to be conquered and he says he'll wait patiently. Wow! That blows my mind.

Then he says the following in verses 17-19
"Fig trees may not grow figs, and there may be no grapes on the vines. There may be no olives growing and no food growing in the fields. There may be no sheep in the pens and no cattle in the barns. But I will still be glad in the Lord, I will rejoin in God my savior. The Lord God is my strength."
in other words, we may be starving to death, our carcasses left out for the buzzards but I will be glad because this is God's plan and He will give us the strength we need.

Suddenly, I feel petty. I feel like my problems, although they seem tough to me, don't even compare to this and although, I do cry out to God and I do believe that his will is perfect, I wouldn't say I always rejoice in it. That's where I need to grow. Perhaps I am in the midst of growing in that area now. Whatever the case, I will rejoin in the Lord for He alone is my Savior and He alone gives me strength for whatever comes my way.

No comments: