.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Can't means you don't want to

For years my kids have said to me, "but mom, I can't!" and I would reply, "can't means you don't want to". It's true! There is no such thing as can't. Can't simply means, it is too hard, it takes too much time, or I don't want to. When learning to tie shoes, "can't means you don't want to. You have the ability to do it, it's just hard and so you think you can't or you think it's easier to have someone do it for you." When learning multiplication, "can't means you don't want to. You can learn this and you will learn this, it's just hard for you but not impossible." so many instances over the years and it's always been, "yes you can!"

Recently at church, Pastor Chris made point number one which was "Refuse to Quit!" Soon following that message there were so many instances in which I wanted to quit. Things were hard, or it just seemed as if nothing was going to work out. I actually said, yep you guessed it. "I can't do this!" And clear as a bell I could hear God tell me, "Can't means you don't want to. All things are possible with Jesus Christ."

He was right of course, just as I had pointed out countless time, I was saying I can't but what I really meant was, this is really hard and I don't want to. Of course it was a momentary lapse, we all have them. Little moments when we doubt or are just plain tired. But there was a light that went on in my head. How many other times has God had the opportunity to throw my own words right back at me. I'm a parent, He's the ultimate parent. How many times has God had the opportunity to look at me like a spoiled kid who in reality has things so much easier in today's society than ever before.

I say things to my kids like, you don't know how good you have it. When I was your age I had to....well you know how the rest goes. insert your own story there. But the point is, God could say the same thing...you don't know how easy you have it. Why when the apostle Paul was traveling the world telling the Good news to the gentiles, he had to walk thousands of miles, get shipwrecked, stoned on the outskirts of town, why once i even made him blind for a time. you kids today are far too spoiled and you don't appreciate what you have...can't means you don't want to...let's practice first time listening.

Ok, maybe I'm oversimplifying it but the truth still holds firm. God is our parent and sometimes we are his bratty kids stuck in the terrible twos.

Never Quit! Refuse to Give up! God has never given up on his children. Can't means, you don't want to and you shouldn't ever settle for that.
May God bless you as you continue on even when it's hard and seems impossible. May God bless you as you continue your walk, refusing to give up, and doing everything with excellence...not perfection, but excellence, to the best of your ability. Oh and God knows what your best is, just as you know when your child is giving you their best.

No comments: