.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Attitude of Gratitude

Today, our pastor was talking about the ten lepers and the importance of having an attitude of gratitude. As I sat there listening, I couldn't help but think that this is truly a lost art in society today. With the downturn in the economy and the increase of unemployment, busy schedules, and the general stress of life, it is far too easy to focus on what is wrong in life. But if you stop to think about what is good in life, it can truly transform you.

Think about it for a moment. We all have something in our life that we can be grateful for. I mean, if God decided to give us what we deserve He would send all of us straight to hell. Pastor made a fantastic point today that really hit me. Anything beyond what I truly deserve, is nothing less than a precious and gracious gift directly from the hand of God. I sat with my kids today and had a meal. Granted, it was leftovers, but I had them and I had time with the kids which was a blessing. I went to Dime A Day to feed the homeless and was able to give out 4 bins of clothing, socks, 350 lunches. It was amazing. And one of the women came up to me and another woman who was with me and sang for us a song of gratitude. This woman, who seemed to have less than nothing, chose to stop for a moment and sing a song of gratitude. I was there to be a blessing and it turned out that I received the blessing instead. But if this woman can find something to be grateful for, can't you.

So I invite you on a journey with me. My journey of terminating negativity and replacing it with gratitude. I will blog about my journey of having an attitude of gratitude and the example I am trying to be with my kids. I pray that at the end of this journey, we will all have more grateful hearts and can look back and see God's transformation in us. Won't you come along with me?

A grateful heart is a happy heart!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too, was deeply moved by the sermon of gratitude. I will take this journey with you! We all have so much to be grateful for, yet we are not! We constantly think of the negative. I have been sick for a while and have been stuck in a poor me mind frame. But, if I really think about it, there is actually a blessing in this too. Thank you Lord for showing me sickness, so I can appreciate wellness. Thank you for my husband who is helping me through this. Thank you for giving me so many wonderful friends that pray with me. I am grateful that he has given me a testimony to help so many others, HE ENTRUSTED ME WITH THIS! Wow, what a special gift!
You can change your attitude about everything and your point of view will change in a blink of an eye. Darkness can turn into light, hopeless to hopeful, All of this just from an attitude of gratitude. Jennifer Hall